Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

GLASS PAINTING

As I begin my blog about the various art forms, I would like to welcome you all to the fabulous world of Glass Painting. I am so excited to share my thoughts and ideas with you.
I had this fascination for stained glass paintings right from a very young age. It all began with my visits to the church on my school campus, and the spectaular stained glass windows that filled me with awe and reverence. At that time however, I did not think that I would at any point in time, actually consider painting on glass. 
The effects of light falling through colored glass is so delightful and fascinating, but the art of 'Stained Glass' seemed so complex and time-consuming. It wasn't until I came to the US in 2002 that I came across various glass paints at Blicks - an equally fascinating art store - "a treasure trove" - as my friend Shantala calls it. It dawned to me that I could, with practice, achieve similar results with glass painting. Of course it will not be appropriate to compare stained glass art with decorative glass painting, as they are both distinctively different in their techniques. 
With infinite resources available at the local library and on the internet I was able to explore and research various techniques and processes of achieving stained glass effects on clear glass without the complex process of cutting and piecing involved in stained glass-work.  You do not need to restrict your creativity to clear glass. China and porcelain can deliver equally amazing effects.


A little creativity and the wide range of glass paints available can transform a simple piece of glass into something special. You can decorate plates, glasses, bowls, bottles, trinket boxes, mirrors, picture frames, vases, cabinet doors, storage jars, candle holders, votive holders and more. The possibilities are endless.


For crafters and artists, painting on glass has become a very creative field. You will find hand-painted glass everywhere - from art and craft fairs to sophisticated boutiques to home decor stores. The delightful part of glass painting is finding objects that arouse your creativity. You can find interesting pieces in antique shops, flea markets, discount stores, kitchen stores, etc. My favorite haunt for glass products is IKEA.

Glass painting can turn in to a very addictive hobby. You will probably end up giving color and life to every piece of glass you can lay your hands on, like I do. Over the years I have spent endless hours pursuing my interest in glass painting and created many interesting pieces. You can check out my portfolio at www.studio4837.com

Through my blog I would like to introduce you to the exciting world of GLASS PAINTING.

Next time I will provide you with a list of materials you will need to get started.

Asta la Vista..... until next time.



3 comments:

  1. Wow amazing hobby sarita..
    Cannot wait to see your masterpieces and read more in your future blogs
    Cheers,
    Hema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I had a look at your creations & was really amazed.
    I look forward to further blogs.
    Meena

    ReplyDelete

Search